As local Perth plumbing and gas fitting specialists, the team at No Probs Plumbing have encountered a huge range of commercial and residential plumbing issues, big and small.
Over the years, we have been called out to Perth homes to fix four common plumbing problems more often than any other.
While some may seem benign, it is important to get them checked over by a licensed plumber to ensure they do not cause expensive, long term damage to your home or health.
Here is our advice on the plumbing troubles you are most likely to encounter and how you can diagnose the problem.
Burst Pipes In The Ground Or Wall
These can be a nightmare for both your home and your wallet. There are a number of reasons why burst pipes occur, including rust damage (in older homes), mineral build-up caused by hard water or poor installation.
It is possible for a leaking pipe to slowly cause internal damage, while remaining undetected for a period of time. On the other side of the coin, the damaged pipe can also cause obvious flooding.
Signs To Look For:
- Look out for a drop in water pressure, which could indicate a leak. This may often be detected in upper levels if the water is not flowing as normal.
- Water from your tap should be clear and tasteless, so if it starts to run brown, you could be dealing with rusted pipes.
- Be wary of trees around your home, as their roots can damage or block pipes – with the pressure build up potentially leading to a burst further along the line.
- Look for wet spots, hot spots or discolouration in the walls of your home.
- Also common are slab leaks, which will cause hot spots on floors, warping and wet spots.
- Keep an eye on your water bill – if it is unusually high, you may be losing water through a leak.
If you notice any of these signs or are battling a flooding situation, contain the leak by turning off the water supply. The next step is to call in a trusted plumber from the No Probs team for 24/7 emergency service.
Leaking or running toilets can occur at any time and can cost you money on your water bill.
Signs To Look For:
- Do you hear a hissing sound coming from your toilet? If your toilet continues to make noise long after you have flushed, it means the water is still running. This could point to a disruption in the tank, a problem with the fill valve in your tank or the result of a leak.
- If you notice a puddle at the base of the toilet, your tank is likely leaking. This also includes signs of dampness or stains surrounding the base.
- If you notice a sewage smell, it is definitely time to call in a Perth plumber. Your toilet bowl or pipes could be leaking, or there could be a leak in the vent pipe.
While the sound of a dripping faucet can be enough to drive you crazy, they can also cause more significant damage if not properly fixed by a professional.
A leaking tap can waste up to 20,000 precious litres of water a year – and add unnecessary costs to your water bills.
It is also common for leaking taps to attract mould and mildew, which could potentially cause harm to your health.
Clogged drains can occur for a number of reasons, such as a build-up of foreign objects or incorrectly installed pipes, and often display a number of telltale signs.
Signs To Look For:
- The shower, sink or toilet is slow to drain.
- Your drains are releasing an unpleasant odour, which is often caused by decomposing food debris stuck in the pipes.
- A gurgling noise is coming from the pipes, which can indicate trapped air inside the drain.
- The water level rises higher than normal when you flush.
No Probs Plumbing provides a complete range of plumbing services in Perth and surrounding suburbs, with no call out fees attached.
As fully trained plumbers and gas fitters, we ensure our workmanship is always of the highest quality, backed by our customer service guarantee.
Call now for an obligation free quote on 9315 5545.